Magic’s Lemon Heaven Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons lemon zest from about 4 medium lemons
2 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
Magic’s Lemon Heaven Frosting:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
6 cups powdered sugar
1/3 – 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 7×3” round baking pans. Set aside.
- Sift all-purpose flour and cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl add the butter, sugar and lemon zest and mix with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the whole eggs and mix well.
- Add the egg whites one at a time, mixing after each. Stir in the vanilla.
- Alternately add in a little bit of the flour mixture and then the buttermilk stirring between each addition.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared round cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool several minutes in the pans, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixers for 1 minute.
- Add 4 cups of powdered sugar, half of the lemon juice and the lemon zest.
- Beat well until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, and the remaining lemon juice until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
- Frost cake once the cake is completely cool.
P.S. I also used Lemon jello pudding (mixed as pie texture filling) for the layers.